Thursday, December 18, 2008

Attorney's never proceeded with sign in garage "HOUSE FOR SALE"

Good to hear from you. We managed to sell our home and get out, evidently "while the getting was good". I sent e-mails and made phone calls to Jim & Louise Greenwood after they left but they didn't respond. I also believe that a "gag order" was part of his settlement and in fact he may have agreed to some dollar amount with the Ashton attorney, although he denied this. I contacted one law firm (they were confident that I had a case but wanted money "up front" with no guarantees), the State Attorney for Florida (now governor), the City of Lake Wales, the ACLU and two or three local politicians. In my case I acted as my own attorney and filed the appropriate responses as the respondent, not as a defendant. I have all of the documents associated with my case on file if you would like to have a copy. This case dragged on with the Ashton attorney wanting me to pay for their expenses WHICH I DID NOT DO. Finally, because nothing was happening I filed a request to abatement and vacate ALL charges; after some time the court required the claimant (Lake Ashton) to proceed or the case would be closed, Lake Ashton never proceeded and the case was dropped. I PAID NOTHING AND AGREED TO NOTHING, regardless of the rumors. I also went to the City of Lake Wales because of the numerous cracks that were in the concrete floors and block walls. There are code requirements for jointing (to relieve stresses and expansion properties) in concrete and block walls, neither was followed. With that said, you must read the 2002 Building Codes that had been adopted during the period that my home was being constructed. All of the customary codes were listed as being adopted by the State of Florida and The City of Lake Wales yet at the very end there was a statement, escape clause, if you will, that had been added to protect the home builders in that area. I also raised the same question concerning the shoddy construction of the clubhouse and other infrastructure and judging from some of the comments I've seen nothing has been done about either one.

No comments: